Katie and Rebecca, 2nd year Ethics, Religion and Philosophy students, will be running the Samaritans Purse ‘Operation Christmas child’ over the next month in Geoffrey Manton. They will be taking donations and creating shoeboxes of gifts which will be handed out to children in more than 100 countries over the festive period.
A small shoebox can have the biggest impact. The gifts that we provide in the box can help a child go to school, provide warmth and hygiene, but most importantly allow the happiness they long for over the festive period.
How to take part:
- Donate items for our student team to create shoeboxes. Donations can be handed in at the Geoffrey Manton Student Hub
- Help out on the 14 at Geoffrey Manton Atrium with wrapping, filling and organizing boxes between 10AM-1PM.
- Find a shoebox and fill it with gifts along with a simple £5 donation for postage and packing fees
- If you don’t have time to source items, any cash donations for the cause will be greatly appreciated and will go towards the sending and creating of shoeboxes
- Ideas to include in your shoebox:
- SOMETHING FUN: skipping rope, yoyo, jigsaw, animal figures, dominoes
- SOMETHING TO LOVE: Barbie doll, stuffed toys (with CE label), Toy truck, hard boiled/gummy sweets
- SOMETHING CREATIVE: chalk, crayons, stickers, notepads, colouring books, playdoh
- SOMETHING TO KEEP CLEAN: toothbrush, toothpaste, flannel, deodorant stick (not liquid or aerosol)
- SOMETHING TO PUT ON: hat, scarf, gloves, jewellery, dress up items
- SOMETHING TO LEARN WITH: pens, sharpener, exercise book, pencil case
Items to AVOID:
- war related items (toy guns, soldiers, knives)
- religious items or literature
- food items (other than sweets: no chocolate)
- sharp objects
- liquids/ aerosols
*FOR MORE INFORMATION/IDEAS ON THE ITEMS YOU CAN INCLUDE IN YOUR SHOEBOX/DONATE, CHECK THE SAMARITANS WEBSTE.*
Many thanks in advance for your donations,