Date: Saturday 28th September 2019
Time: 11am – 12.15pm
Location: Manchester Met Business School
Tickets: £10 (£5 concessions) – Available here
Manchester Metropolitan University in partnership with SCBWI British Isles are hosting ‘The Journey of a Book’ – panel event with publisher Bella Pearson (Guppy Books), editor Rachel Leyshon (Chicken House) with authors Anna Mainwaring, Louisa Reid and Marie Basting.
PLUS optional 1:1 with the industry professionals, Bella and Rachel and we will be joined in the afternoon by agent Anne Clark (Anne Clark Literary Agency).
2019 has been an exciting year for the North West network with three of our Manchester-based SCBWI authors launching books this summer. We are delighted to host a fantastic panel event to discuss their journeys to publication along with the professionals who have made their dreams happen. We will be discussing routes to publishing, the current market and asking for tips for taking our own journeys forward. There will be time for questions at the end.
All are welcome to purchase tickets for the panel event which will start at 11am and finish at 12.15. There is a discount for SCBWI members and Manchester Met students who can show valid student ID on the day of the event. Children go free.
SCBWI Members and Manchester Met Students who can show a valid student ID may purchase 1:1s with Anne, Bella or Rachel.
If you purchase a 1:1 ticket, we invite you to send a follow-up email with (or preferably before) your submission (please see below for details of what to submit). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org who you would like a 1:1 with (and why if it’s relevant). We cannot guarantee that you will be given your first choice.
Manchester Met students, please send a photograph or copy of your student ID and bring a copy on the day. Failure to do so will not result in a refund but may mean that you do not receive a 1:1.
What to submit for 1:1
- For novels: the first 2000 words of a novel and a one-page synopsis.
- For picture books: two texts (not exceeding 1000 words each) and a covering letter.
- We must receive your submission by Friday 13th September.
About the day
- The panel will start at 11 am and end at 12.15.
- Break for lunch. A timetable will be available to show the running order for 1:1s.
- We will start 1:1s at 1 pm before breaking at 2 pm for the book launch of Marie Basting’s MG novel, BMX Princess (Chicken House). All welcome. 1:1s will resume shortly afterwards.
- Please be aware, these timings may change slightly.
We really hope to see you there.
This is a brilliant opportunity for budding and established authors and author/illustrators to get feedback from professionals, to pose your questions and to celebrate some of the North West’s finest authors!