0.3 C
Tuesday, January 26, 2021


Welcome to the FAQs section for all questions on the Postgraduate Arts and Humanities Centre (PAHC). PAHC supports all postgraduate students – postgraduate research (PGR) and postgraduate taught (PGT). For information relating to your studies, please refer to the Student Handbook for your programme of study. The handbook will also have information on many of the topics listed below.


Q. How do I access MMU Library Services?

Email our librarians at library@mmu.ac.uk. Our FAQs can be found at Library Answers.
Q. Can I access other libraries?

As a student at Manchester Metropolitan, you may use other university libraries in the UK, usually this is via the Sconul Access scheme. For details about registering for this scheme, see the ‘Using other libraries’ section of the Library website.
Q. What is the Books Buy You scheme?

Books Buy You aims to buy you the resources you need. If the Library doesn’t own the book you need for your studies or research, tell us and we’ll buy a copy if we can for the Library. More information about the Books Buy You scheme, and how to request books, can be found using the link below. Booksbuyyou.
Q. How do I request the library adds new books to stock?

You can use the Books Buy You service. If the Library doesn’t own the book you need for your studies or research, tell us and we’ll buy a copy if we can for the Library. More information about the Books Buy You scheme, and how to request books, can be found using the link below. Booksbuyyou.
Q. How can I pay my library fine?

You can pay your fines in any of the following ways:

  • online via My Library Account with a debit/credit card;
  • at the Library help desk with cash, debit/credit card or Met Card;
  • by telephone on 0161 247 6106 using a debit/credit card.

Please see our website for more details.

Q. I have a referencing query, whom can I ask for help?

We have a referencing team who can help answer more complex referencing queries. Email them: library@mmu.ac.uk. You may be able to find the answer you need on the Library website: http://libguides.mmu.ac.uk/mmuharvard
Q. What referencing style should I be using?

There are many referencing styles. Popular styles are author/date (often known as Harvard) and Numerical. The university has its own version of Harvard style for undergraduate use but postgraduate students are advised to use the appropriate style of referencing as required by your discipline or by the journal/publisher to which you intend to submit work for publication. Links to some of the key referencing styles are mentioned on the library website https://libguides.mmu.ac.uk/c.php?g=281251&p=1875086 Please consult your supervisor/publisher for further guidance.
Q. How do I use referencing software?

The University subscribes to Endnote referencing software. EndNote works seamlessly with Word to create in-text citations and a bibliography. You can choose from a range of referencing styles, including MMU Harvard.

The Library run Endnote workshops and provide guides and videos. See the Library Endnote Guide for more information.

Some alternatives to EndNote​ are:

The Library is not able to support you in using these services.


Q. Who do I contact for information about internal funding for activities such as attending conferences or specialist equipment?

For funding related to support with costs such as for conference fees and associated travel, there are two main sources: the Graduate School (insert link) and PAHC’s fund – contact Dr. Myna Trustram on m.trustram@mmu.ac.uk. There is currently no similar funding for taught masters students.
Q. I would really like to get some teaching experience / a paid teaching job. How do I approach this?

A great place to start is http://www.celt.mmu.ac.uk. You can find CELT on the first floor of the All Saints Building or contact your CELT Faculty Link: CELT Faculty Links. The employment of a full-time PGR student as a GTA should not normally exceed 6 hours per week and, in all cases, must not exceed 180 hours per year averaged over the course of the academic year. The PGR GTAs are hourly-paid and subject to role profiles as outlined by Human Resources. Link to GTA Framework.
Q. How do I go about getting some paid work?

Many postgraduate students balance their studies with a part time job to assist with the cost of fees and living costs – either with a private employer or by successfully applying for a role here at Manchester Metropolitan. For all available roles and advice on taking on employment in addition to your postgraduate degree, take a look at the Jobs 4 Students page.

Study Spaces

Q. Are there dedicated spaces for PhD students to work on campus? How do I find them?

There are two study rooms, GM117 and GM118 in the Geoffrey Manton building which are for the use of PhD students only. Space is limited and you will need swipe access. There are two study rooms in Righton – 114 and 115. Please contact the Research Degrees Team at pahcresearchdegrees@mmu.ac.uk for more details.

The Righton ‘Open Space’ on the 1st floor can be used for meeting with each other when there is no teaching or other scheduled activity happening there.

Q. Can I use the Righton first floor space to work even if I have been shown a PGR office in a different building?

Yes, this is for your use and contact Dr. Myna Trustram for more information on m.trustram@mmu.ac.uk.


Q. How do I use the printers, and how much does it cost?

For everything you need to know about printing at Manchester Met, clink on Print, scan and copy. If you need to contact the Print Services, click on Print Services contact details.
Q. Who do I contact in case of IT problems?

IT services for students has all the information on getting connected, email, university computers. The help desk phone number is 0161 247 4646.
Q.I need a particular software for my research. Whom can I contact / How do I get access to the software?

In the first instance, speak to your supervisors who should be able to advise you on software.
Q. I am having problems finding my way round Moodle, who can help me?

Moodle support and FAQS has very helpful information on general trouble shooting.

For support in accessing the Research Student Community on Moodle, please contact Stephanie Barker, s.barker@mmu.ac.uk, quoting your MMU ID.


Q. How do I find out about the masters course structure and learning outcomes?

All the information you require is in the student handbook, which you will find on the Moodle page for your MA/ MSc. You can also ask your programme leader who will be happy to go through any questions you might have.
Q. What is the difference between the workshops offered on Skills Forge and the PAHC Research Training Programme (RTP)?

The Graduate School provides training workshops for research students across the university. The PAHC Research Training Programme (RTP) is specifically designed for Arts and Humanities students.
Q. I cannot make it to the Wednesday PGR workshops. Is there any other way of accessing the workshop material and joining the PAHC community?

Videos of some of the workshops are posted onto the ‘Training‘ page of news.harts.online. You can meet other students at Faculty and university-wide events on other days and in the spaces and study rooms specifically provided for PAHC students.
Q. How do I use SkillsForge?

You can find SkillsForge help, walk-through videos, tutorials and support material on Moodle under ‘Research Students Community’. The Graduate School website has a number of Quick Start Guides, videos and FAQs on their website: Skills Forge.
Q. What is EthOS and how do I use it?

All PGR students are required to obtain ethical approval for their research via EthOS before the start of data collection or the approval of the Progression Review (RD2), whichever is first.  Applications should be submitted on EthOS at https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/research/staff/systems-and-resources/.
Guidance is available at https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/research/staff/systems-and-resources/ethos-guidance/ and if you have any further questions please contact the ethics team at artandhumanitiesethics@mmu.ac.uk.


Q. I am really stressed/worried/anxious… Where can I get help?

The university has a dedicated Counselling, Health and Wellbeing Service and runs a programme of drop-in workshops and courses (booked throughout Eventbrite) throughout the academic year.

Your supervisor should also be a source of support during your studies. However, we understand that not everybody feels comfortable discussing these topics with members of staff.

Also see the Research Training Programme for peer-led sessions designed to help with wellbeing.

Q. I won’t be able to work on my PhD/Masters for a while due to medical/caring/… commitments. How do I suspend my studies?

For any number of reasons, you and your academic tutors may be considering it best for you to take time away from your studies. Please contact the Research Administrators – pahcresearchdegrees@mmu.ac.uk – to discuss options.
Q. What is a PLP?

A Personal Learning Plan (PLP) is a document that makes recommendations for the support you require on your course if you have a diagnosed mental, physical or learning disability. It covers areas such as teaching and exam recommendations. A PLP might include requests for handouts in large print, transcripts of lecture notes, extended library loans and examination and assessment recommendations. Recommendations are based on medical evidence, the Disability Adviser’s professional judgement and academic regulations.

The PLP is sent to teaching staff and other relevant staff in your department. It advises them of any reasonable adjustments they may need to make. You should be contacted by a tutor to discuss your PLP. If you do not wish to disclose the exact nature of your disability to your department, you can stipulate that this information be excluded from your PLP.

Q. How can I access the Disability Service and what services do they provide?

The advisers within the Disability Service act as a contact within the University for current and prospective disabled students. The role of the Disability Service Adviser is to provide information, advice and support to students about the resources which are available to them, both within the University and from other external agencies. The Disability Service Advisers will work with students to help steer them through any necessary screenings or assessments, which will identify their individual needs. They also assist them with any applications for the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs), liaising with relevant funding bodies as appropriate.

Advisers also have links with academic colleagues, and other central services such as the libraries, to raise awareness of disability issues and to ensure that appropriate support is available.

Q. How do I access a counsellor?

Any enrolled student can book an initial assessment by phoning 0161 247 3493 or emailing counselling@mmu.ac.uk or coming to our reception at the Business School, Room 1.13.

Initial assessments are usually 45 minutes long. For further information, please click here: How do I see a counsellor?

Q. I have a complaint, but do not want to discuss this in person. How can I leave anonymous feedback?

You can talk to your course rep who can feed back your comments anonymously to the relevant senior member of staff.

The Student complaints procedure has all the information about how to make a complaint. You are strongly advised to contact the Students’ Union Advice Centre to guide and support you.

Q. I am not getting on with my supervisor(s) and would like to talk to an independent person about it. Whom could I contact?

For PhD students – If you have tried to discuss your concerns with your supervisor and have not reached a satisfactory solution, you should contact the Research Degrees Co-ordinator for your department. If you don’t know who that is, please check with the Research Degrees Administrators – pahcresearchdegrees@mmu.ac.uk.

For Masters students – similarly, if you haven’t been able to resolve any problems directly with you supervisor/tutor, contact your personal tutor or the programme leader.

Kate Johnson, Postgraduate Student Experience Tutor is also available for one-to-one discussions on non-academic and pastoral matters: k.johnson@mmu.ak.uk

Q. I want to meet other PGR students from across the Faculty / University. Where can I meet them?

Some of the PGRs can regularly be found in the study rooms GM117 and GM118, and in Righton in 114 and 115. Contact Kate Johnson: k.johnson@mmu.ac.uk for details for the current course reps who will be able to help you meet other PGRs.

The PGR Film Club meets every Wednesday evening at 5pm at Number 70, Oxford Street, in LB.02. Please contact Sarah Walker- sarak.k.walker@stu.mmu.ac.uk and Catherine Elkin –catherine.elkin@stu.mmu.ac.uk for further details.

PhD specific

Q. Is the Arts & Humanities Faculty based in a specific building? Where is PAHC based?

The Faculty doesn’t have a specific geographical identity – it is spread across several buildings on Oxford Road: Geoffrey Manton, Righton, Benzie, Chatham and Number 70.

The PAHC staff and admin teams are mostly based in Righton. Kate Johnson, Postgraduate Support Tutor, is based in No 70.

Maps for Manchester campus buildings has information on each building, included access.

Q. What is the difference between PAHC and the Graduate School? Whom should I contact in what instances?
The Graduate School serves postgraduate research study across the whole university. The Postgraduate Arts and Humanities Centre (PAHC) sits within the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and is primarily focussed on matters relating to PhD, MPhil and MA by Research students, and welcomes opportunities to include and engage MA and MSc students within the faculty.
Q. What are my deadlines for submitting work at different stages of my PhD?

You should be able to find this information in the Research Student Handbook, which you should have received from the Graduate School on your enrolment. Key milestones and deadlines can be found in Student Details in Skills Forge.
Q. What is the Application to Register (RD1)?

Registration for a research degree takes place following the submission of an application for registration (RD1) on Skills Forge.

The FRDC will ensure, by examining your application, that:

  • The research is academically sound;
  • it is ethical;
  • there is a high probability of you successfully completing the project within the period of your registration;
  • you are embarking on a viable research programme;
  • the supervisory team is appropriate and likely to be sustained; and
  • appropriate facilities are available for you to conduct your research.

You need to submit your application for registration within 3 months (full-time) or 6 months (part-time). Please consult the Research Student Handbook for further detail.

Q. What is the Progression Review/Transfer of Study (RD2)?

The RD2 Application to Transfer/Progress is submitted via the PGR Management System, SkillsForge – http://skillsforge.mmu.ac.uk/mmu/. The RD2 is found in the ‘My Degree’ tab, followed by ‘Milestones’. The RD2 submission is comprised of the following:

  • The RD2 Application form in SkillsForge
  • The transfer/progression report – this will need to incorporate the following – the aims of your programme as detailed in your RD1, the aims of the programme leading to PhD, a critical literature review of the findings of others in the field of enquiry, a full description of the research methods/methodology used, details of results obtained, discussion of the work already undertaken and conclusions drawn at this stage of the work, a full description of the intended further work including a timeline/Gantt chart to submission.
  • A one-page abstract – a brief summary of your report to be included at the front of your progression report
  • An appendix – work you have completed that provides evidence of your ability to produce research outputs of the appropriate academic standard i.e. a literature review or chapter, a conference presentation or published paper, exhibition documentation or a piece of work related to the aims of the research. Texts should amount to no more than 8,000 words or 4,000 words when combined with practice-based work

The RD2 application form and supporting documents are sent to two independent academic scrutineers with a request that they critically review the application and provide a report. In completing their report, the Scrutineers will provide useful comments and indicate whether minor, major, or no revisions are required.

Following submission of the scrutineer reports you will undertake a transfer/progression viva, at which, you will have the opportunity to provide a 10 minute presentation on your research. The viva is intended to be helpful exercise and provide experience prior to your final Viva Voce.
The viva will be conducted by your scrutineers and normally lasts around one hour.

You should discuss the RD2 with your supervisory team and look out for a workshop on ‘Approaching the RD2’. You can also find guidance on submitting your RD2 in the Research Student Handbook.

Q. I don’t think I will be able to submit my thesis on time. What are my options?

There are two options, depending on the amount of additional time required.

20 working days grace

If a student is unable to submit their thesis by the agreed submission date, but is very close to submission, they may be permitted an additional 20 working days extension. This must be discussed with the student’s Director of Studies, and agreed by the Head of Faculty Research Degrees, as it not an automatic entitlement.

However, should the student not submit within the 20 day grace period and subsequently request a formal extension by submitting an RD4, the date of the extension must date from the original submission due date and not from the end of the 20 day grace period.

RD4 Extension

Where a student has exceptional factors and requires additional time to submit his /her thesis, the Faculty Research Degrees Committee must approve an application for an extension to the studies. The RD4 extension should be submitted at least 3 months before the thesis submission deadline and be accompanied by appropriate documentary evidence to support the application. Please see the Research Student Handbook for further detail and the list of exceptional factors.

Non-Submission Fees

All students requiring an extension to their original submission due date will incur additional fees.

The duration of any agreed extension should be for the minimum amount of additional time required.  The charge for the extension will be based on the number of additional months requested/agreed with the student and not by a rolling monthly charge.

Home and EU students will be charged £65 per month of extension (£780 per annum/12 month extension). After the first 12 month period of extension, non-submission fees will be charged as follows: £3000 annual fee (reduced by £2000 to £1000 if submission is within the first 6 months).

Overseas and Channel Island students will be charged £190 per month of extension (£2280 per annum/12 month extension). After the first 12 month period of extension, non-submission fees will be charged as follows: £9000 annual fee (reduced by £6000 to £3000 if submission is within the first 6 months).

After the first 24 months of extension, students will revert to standard fees until they submit.  Such fees may be pro-rated once Finance is notified of the actual submission date.


Q. Where can I find a layout of the campus and where to go for what?

Manchester Campus Map and Maps for Manchester campus buildings has information on each building, included access.
Q. Where can I find information about public transport in Manchester?

Public Transport information for current students has information about public transport and parking. You can contact the Travel Team on Email: studenttravel@mmu.ac.uk Phone: 0161 247 2989.
Q. Is there a ‘what’s on’ list in the city and surrounding areas?

Facebook is a good starting point. Other websites include: What’s on in Manchester, Creative Tourist, and Superbia for information on Manchester Pride events.
Q. I need to buy supplies such as art materials – where should I go?

The A4 and More Store is located on the Chatham First Floor and stocks a large range of paper types, paint, computer and video consumables and other art materials. A book binding service is also available.
Q. I have heard there is a post office on campus. Where is it?

The Manchester Metropolitan Post Shop is on the All Saints Campus is available to serve all mail, courier and stationery requirements. The shop is open Monday to Friday, from 10am to 3pm, and is on the ground floor of Cavendish North Building.
Q. How do I find out where the cafes are, what they serve and when they are open?

Click on Cafes and snack bars on the Manchester Campus to find out what is served where and when.

Social/Student-led Initiatives

Q. Who are my course reps?

This information should be on the Moodle area for your programme. If you can’t find what you are looking for please contact Kate Johnson, the Postgraduate Student Experience Tutor: k.johnson@mmu.ac.uk
Q. I have an idea for a PGR event/workshop/suggestion for improvement... Who shall I contact to discuss this?

You can talk to your course rep, DoS (PGRs), Programme Leader (PGTs), Kate Johnson, Postgraduate Student Experience Tutor (k.johnson@mmu.ac.uk) or Dr. Myna Trustram (m.trustram@mmu.ac.uk).
Q. Are there any reading groups in our faculty / across faculties?

There is a Modern and Contemporary Gothic Reading Group which is accessible to both staff and students. Here’s a link to their Facebook page for more information on dates and location: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1589997731237020/.

The Library has started a Book Chat and you can find out more here blog post. Book chats are similar to regular reading groups or book clubs, except that there is no set book which everyone has to read. Members can turn up without having read anything in advance and the meetings are very informal. The idea is to focus more upon talking about the books you are reading or have just read. We’ve also got a few activities based upon reading short extracts from books and poems. The chats are taking place on alternate Wednesdays, 2 – 3 pm in the library chat zone. The dates for the next couple are 7th March and 21st March.

Q. Are there any writing groups in our faculty / across faculties?

PGR Writing Group

The aim of the day is to get some writing done in a supportive peer led space. The group runs every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month in The Union (Subject to room availability) and begins at 10am (please arrive before to set up laptop etc.). Writing sessions run for 45mins followed by a 15-min break. We stop for a 45min lunch at 1pm. PGR students are welcome to come to either the morning session, the afternoon session or stay all day. There is no charge but biscuits are always welcome. More information can be found on Facebook @MMUResearchStudents or you can email francesca.ribenfors@stu.mmu.ac.uk or sarah.fox@stu.mmu.ac.uk for more information.